At 03:19 PM 12/12/2004, Ralph McClintock wrote...
>Don,
>The computer generates an on-off. Writelog does not allow any adjustment of
>keying characteristics. The Bencher generates an open or ground. Why does
>the K2 recognize the Bencher, a mechanical switch, as soft and why does it
>recognize the computer as hard?
>Ralph W1ZK

Which is it - the RF waveform ("hard") or the keying weight? You've already
said "I am referring exactly to weight." Hard/soft by convention refer to the
sound of the RF waveshape, heavy/light refers to the on/off ratio (weight).
You're mixing terminology and confusing the issue.

Keying weight is a function of they keyer. As has already been explained, when
you use a paddle, you're using the K2's internal keyer, and consequently get
the weight for which that is set; the K2 is making the dots and dashes. The
Bencher generates _two_ opens/grounds, and is telling the K2 to make a dot or a
dash. As far as the K2 is concerned, the computer is just a straight key, so
any "weight" (and speed) is a function of the computer program you're using.
The K2 has nothing to do with the dots and the dashes, it's just making RF when
it sees "key down." A difference is to be expected, both in weight and speed -
you're comparing two different keyers (the K2's vs. the Writelog's).