Bill, W7WEL wrote:

Since building the 100 watt add on, I have been venturing into a bit of SSB.
The ...mic I'm using is a hand mic that came with the TS 570, a dynamic with
600 ohm impedance.

I don't think the ALC (Talc) action is working properly.   With the mic gain
set at 3 and the compression ratio at 4-1 the ALC lights up 3 bars.   These
settings are extreme and the on the air audio is "Breathy" with lots of
background noise.   Not good.    But, even at these extreme settings,
power-output seems low and restrained.

I've tried every possible combination of mic gain/compression.  ...I'd like
to hear from others what their experience is with various mics and mic
settings, troubles and remedies, etc.
----------------------------------

Bill, if your ALC is flickering even one bar, you are hitting the full peak
output you have the POWER control set for. MIC 2 and MIC 3 are identical
gains. Only MIC 1 is different. It inserts about 10 dB of gain. The number
of ALC bars lighting only indicates how much gain reduction the AGC has to
use to hold the output power down to your requested level. More or less bars
do not mean more or less output as long as at least one bar is flashing.

The presence of a lot of background noise suggests that you have plenty of
mic gain anyway - assuming that's what others are hearing with nominal
signal strengths. Background noise will sound much louder on a nearby
monitor receiver because of the huge signal level at such close range.

I'm not real sure what you mean by "restrained" but one thing a lot of ops
with K2's on SSB miss is that note in the KSB2 manual to adjust the BFO
frequencies for best reproduction of your voice. Setting them by Spectrogram
gets them close enough for a lot of ops, but there's nothing like actually
hearing your own signal. If you can, listen on an auxiliary receiver and
record it, then play back the recording. You may find that shifting the BFO
frequency a bit one way or the other will do a lot to improve the quality of
your audio beyond the basic setting looking at Spectrogram.

Ron AC7AC