Hi Fred:

I'm very encouraged that some young people are taking up ham radio. Given the "politically correct" attitude of the times, I have heard ham radio dismissed as a "middle aged white guy's" amusement. It is good that events show that this is not strictly true.

Frankly, I hope that a lot of newcomers do take up the more sophisticated digital modes. Ham radio has always had a tradition of advancing the technology, and now is no time to stop. Although I think that there will always be CW, I suspect that the analogy to sailing is very sound. It will be a popular (and even indispensable) niche within a much wider range of activities.

Your point about publicizing the no-infrastructure character of CW is well taken. Beyond that, with rare exceptions nobody but hams use CW these days. We're keeping the art from becoming lost.

BTW. I'm strictly CW myself. I tried operating SSB a few times but could never get the hang of it. CW is far less difficult.

73,

Steve
AA4AK