Ron:

Probably, unless one is using some very exotic mode such as Coherent CW, millisecond synchronization is not actually required for ham operations.

However, there are some fairly routine operations in which sub-second resolution is a necessity and not a luxury. These include the synchronization of beacons, or identifying which of several synchronized beacons you're receiving if you can detect that the signal is present but cannot make out the callsign. I would also think that coordinated operations such as hidden transmitter hunting would be greatly enhanced if all the participants have the same time within less that a tenth of a second.

However, for routine (or even contest) logging, I agree with you that a six dollar clock is as good as you need. Nevertheless, I did get an atomic clock, partly to facilitate DX beacon monitoring, but primarily for the gee whiz factor.

73,

Steve
AA4AK