Tim,

Now that you have determined that the A=B switch works, but the RATE switch does not, you should check the other side of the switch matrix - do the BAND+, BAND-, DISPLAY, MENU (also ANT1/2 and NB) switches function at all? If they do not, check the path for /BANK1 to pin 6 of U3 for continuity. You may want to just arbitrarily re-solder the pins of U3.

With power off, you can measure continuity between U2 pin 14 and U3 pin 6 - it should be zero ohms with the RATE switch depressed and near an open circuit with no switches depressed.

If all the above checks are OK, I would be suspicious of a zapped input (pin 6) on U3.

73,
Don W3FPR