I have strong  opinions about  doing the job with the right tool.

A better approach is to do wideband surveillance using more appropriate
tools.  One could use the GnuRadio/USRP widget or the DCP-1/KD6OZH widget
to begin this job quite nicely.  Since you really want to demonstrate the
impact of the interference on regular operations, the goal would be to
have the wideband instruments quickly find likely candidate frequencies
for interference content and then, through computer control, tune the
narrow band resource do the actual evidence (sound file) capture.
Since you are not likely to get really accurate frequencies with the
wideband equipment, without needing a huge number of samples and very
large FFT's on what will probably not be that coherent anyway,  I would
think a receiver capable of 40Khz to 80Khz bandwidth would be better.
While not inexpensive, the SDR-1000 can be used at that bandwidth.  Since
we are not really after super performance here, I would think we could get
away with cheaper receivers but this would have to be thought out carefully
since this is the "evidence" gathering instrument.

I would suggest a search strategy doing ham band wide chunks (so you could
put some filtering in front of the FPGA based widgets) and have them
direct the narrow band resource when and where to record.

If we separated antennas sufficiently, and used (say) GPS tamed clocks
for the oscillators for the sampling,  you could do time difference of
arrival geolocation of the emitter.

I need ten day weeks and 140 hour days and two more bodies. ;-)

Bob
N4HY