Bob, G3VVT wrote:

> Yes, it does work.
>
> However there is a downside in that the silicon grease prevents most kinds
> of tape adhesive sticking to the connector for providing external weather
> proofing. The only exeption to this may be the greased fabric tape (Denso
tape)
> used in waterproofing connectors on comms towers though have never tried
with
> this. Attempts afterwards to remove excess silicon grease that reaches the
> outside of the connector and so allow plastic or self amalgamating rubber
tape
> to stick were not successful.

Hi Bob,

When I have used Vaseline, only because there is usually some in the house,
I coat the mating threads and almost fill up the space between the gasket
and the cable end of the connector (N type) before inserting the nut. Some
goo oozes out which I wipe off. I then cover with Scotch Super 33+ tape,
starting the tape "winding"  4 to 6 inches along the cable from the
connector. Each turn covers about 3/4 of the previous turn, and I keep going
untill 4 to 6 inches along the cable from the other mating connector. I then
reverse direction and keep winding back to the starting point. Pretty crude,
but the "shell" of tape and any goo in the connector area plus the goo in
the connector has so far kept the weather out. I was at one time concerned
that any Vaseline that might "short circuit" or disturb the RF path could
cause problems, but none have been detected, and no sign of gasket problems.

Will be in touch about 4m off-list.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD