On Fri, 2005-04-03 at 12:55 -0800, Mark Sandler wrote:
> A little levity for weekend.  I have been inundated with pornographic
> spam and e-mails lately.  So, when I saw e-mails regarding Rubber
> Knobs and Tight Skirts, I thought the worse.  I'm glad it was all some
> nice clean Amateur Radio & Elecraft traffic.

At least it wasn't tight knobs and rubber skirts... :-/

For those who get lots of spam, there are some good spam filtering
solutions, some of which are free. I recommend a Bayesian filter. It's a
statistical technique that works by first learning what the contents of
your typical ham and spam are, then applying that knowledge to filter
incoming mail. Once it has been trained it is incredibly accurate - a
well trained Bayesian filter can approach 100% accuracy. If it does make
a mistake, you can retrain it with the email that it got wrong; it just
keeps getting more accurate.

I use SpamAssassin on Linux (which uses other filtering techniques as
well as Bayesian filtering). I'm not sure if it's available for Windows
or not. I have very few false negatives, and *no* false positives (i.e.
once in a while it misses a spam, but *never* identifies a good email as
spam - not bad for over 500 emails per day).

A good place to start for more information on Bayesian filtering is Paul
Graham's site:

http://www.paulgraham.com/antispam.html

If you don't care how it works and just want links to download software,
there's some links in the FAQ:

http://www.paulgraham.com/spamfaq.html

As always, Google is your friend. Try searching on "bayesian", or
something like "free windows bayesian", and you'll find lots of
information, and quite a few good free software packages. If you're
using Linux, just get SpamAssassin...

Sorry for the off-topic post - as punishment I'll buy some more Elecraft
kits. :-)

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR