Don is essentially right as to what is happening, although the MCU is not being "scrambled." The 5A line is connected directly to the 18C452's reset line (MCLR). When 5A drops below about 4.5 volts for at least 200 microseconds, it triggers a reset for the microcontroller. It doesn't take much draw on the 5A line to trigger this condition.

Don and I have extensively discussed the use of the microphone 5 volt line. I fully agree with his strong suggestion to not use it. In my case I found problems with RF Feedback that I have been able to directly associate with my use of the power pin, even though I heavily bypassed it in my interface box. The symptoms were bad audio reports on my SSB transmissions on both 20 and 40 meters. Replacing the interface box with a direct connection (and Mic 5V not connected) solved the problem.

Like Don, I have moved to power my audio interface box from the main station +12V supply, and removed the jumper from the MIC header to help make sure the feedback problems do not return. I agree that it is nice to have one feed point for power to the peripheral devices, but that one feed point should not be the K2 - it simply was not designed for that purpose.