Fred,

Solve the voltage regulator situation first - it certainly sounds like it is
either bad or there is a bad connection somewhere in the voltage supply
path, in any case it is not regulating to 6 volts.

R6 is installed after the balance alignment and you are not there yet.
Furthermore, if you ever plan to add the K60XV option you should find a 470
ohm resistor and use that instead of the 47 ohm - the higher value will not
hurt anything, but the low value one does interfere with the power detection
for the low level transverter output.  If you already have the K60XV option
you will find this information in the errata and a 470 ohm resistor packed
with the K60XV.

73,
Don W3FPR