That's fine for K2 builders, but it wasn't much help with a K1 since they
don't tune that high on 20 and 15 with the optional 80 kc band spread. I
stuck a 14.060 mc crystal I had left over from converting a Rock-Mite 20 to
15m and it worked fine, though I didn't measure the output to see how much
it deviated from the 50 uV 40m output. It's bound to be different.

I used a trick I first learned from Chuck, W5USJ, of using two Augat
machined socket pins taken from an IC socket. Pull out the crystal, solder
two of these pins in and plug in the crystal. Now you can stick anything you
have into it. I got the pins from a new CPU socket for some early Pentium
chip that I bought at a surplus store for 50 cents. With a firm grip on the
bottom of a pin with needlenose pliers, you can just push the pins out the
top very easily. It's going to be tougher if the socket is used...you might
have to crush the base with side cutters...so try to get a new one.

I just remove what I am going to use at the time. The socket base makes a
safe storage place for the tiny pins between projects. They are great any
place you want to experiment with part values and don't want to keep
solder-stressing the board which is what Chuck originally used them for.

Eric
KE6US