Andrew,

Most of the bandpass filters tune properly with the inductor slugs between 1
1/2 to 4 turns into the coil.  If your adjustments are so far out of range
that the slugs are either at the top or bottomed out you have a problem.

The problem is either 1) The capacitors in the bandpass filter have
incorrect values, or 2) the frequency is not really what it is supposed to
be (VFO/Mixer problem).

If you were able to find a peak during the receive bandpass filter tuning,
the transmit tuning is only a refinement of that receiver tuning and you
should find the peak on transmit less than a half turn away.

73,
Don W3FPR