I was a certified NASA solderer, and no NASA soldering course I ever took required fillets...It was quite the opposite, minimal solder was required in the interest of saving lift-off weight...It was estimated that minimal solder in the Apollo program saved 450 pounds in entire launch vehicle...OT?...Yes...

We had an ex-NASA guy where I worked when I was a student, he talked about the NASA soldering technique, and yes it seems to closely match the Elecraft soldering technique! They were given an amount of solder, and told to solder a board, install a bunch of components I guess, and then at the end of that, graded on how much solder they still had left! I hope they looked at the quality of the connections too, I'm sure that was a factor too. When I read in the Elecraft manual about how to solder their way, I was reminded of this guy. So, we're learning to solder like some very respected builders when we build our Elecrafts!

My Hakko 808, which I dearly love, will NOT remove all the solder completely through to the other side of the board...

Your Hakko 808, which you dearly love, is the modern version of the old OK Industries solder sucker, a very good one, BUT, for real solder-sucking bliss, get a Pace! Also learn to do daily maintenance on your Pace, since they need it - they're the Ferraris of the solder-sucking world, and you need to replace the tip daily, filter often, clean out the handpiece filters, and have a good understanding of how that baby works inside and how to keep the vane pump happy. Expensive, high-maintenance, but the best solder-sucking I've ever seen!

73 de Alex NS6Y