Craig wrote:
On CW if I select test mode by pressing VOX the "c" indicator flashes slowly
to indicate that the unit is in test mode, per the manual.
Pressing the "Tune" button apparently starts the tune mode but the power
indication is just 0.1 to 0.2, indicating no rf output.  That's all fine.

However, if I change modes to sideband, or switch bands to a band that I
left in sideband the unit stays in tune mode but there is no indication on
the display.  Several times I've been fooled trying to tune up on SSB but
getting no output, the power display showing 0.1 or 0.2.  Then I remember
that I was in test mode on CW.  If I change modes to CW the "c" indicator is
flashing.  I can then turn it off with the VOX button and then switch back
to SSB and all is well.

Is this normal?

Yes. TEST mode is entered in holding MODE in CW mode and it applies to both
CW and SSB mode and any band.

In SSB, the flashing U or L sideband indicator is used to indicate VOX mode
instead of PTT mode.

And, yes, I've wondered where the RF went on occasion <G>. I use TEST mode
whenever I'm away from the rig or have it on while puttering around the
operating desk because I operate with headphones and it'd be too easy to
accidentally key the rig and never notice.

Ron AC7AC