Al,

There are no 'right' answers, but being an 'old timer', I would suggest that
you start with a straight key long enough to acquire a feeling for proper
character formation and spacing.  After that, I would suggest going to an
iambic keyer - skip the non-iambic initially (since you already have a
trained response for proper character formation and spacing from the
straight key exercise). Then if you have extreme difficulty with the iambic
keying, drop down to the non-iambic with a single lever paddle. (A single
lever paddle instantly turns an iambic keyer into a non-iambic keyer).

Just my personal opinion here based on the predominance of the iambic keyers
available today.  I learned on a straight key, and migrated to a bug and
then an ACCU-KEYER, but because of my old bug habits, I have always had
problems with iambic keyers.  If you learn the iambic technique before
acquiring other habits, you will be further ahead than the point at which I
am stuck (and likely will never extract myself).

73,
Don W3FPR