> But, what is the best key to start with -
> straight, iambic,
> non-iambic? or
> what. So many choices and I need advice.

I echo what Don said and might chime in with a few
other comments ... I hear SOOO many absolutely
dreadful fists these days, most with new 2x3 calls -
but not all!! ... I am simultaneously ecstatic about
the recent, rapid re-emergence of Morse activity ...
and appalled at the fact that most of these new hams
must have come to the mode sans Elmers and
straight-keys.

Code is (as far as the brain's processing center is
concerned) music, and all music has rhythm.  You don't
need a computer-aided drum to catch the beat when you
are first learning, and in fact, using one to start
with is probably a bad idea.

Invest in a top-grade straight key (such as the
Hi-Mound) and keep it for always ... and then add the
iambic after you are receiving above about 10-12 WPM.

Steve KZ1X/4