I bought a Frigidaire dishwasher made by Elecvtrolux in January of 2005. It
is a model gld2450rds0. I did not realize it at first but it is the source
of my high QRN. I used my IC-746PRO to make the following observations
because it will pick up AM but the interference is just as bad on my K2 sn
1031. The background noise was S5 on 20 meters with the AM mode, 9 kHz
filter and a dead frequency of 13990 selected. All cycles of the dishwasher
except the wash part have a noise level of S6 to S7 which is still something
I could live with. Every time the actual washing starts the noise jumps to
10 DB over S9 and stays there until it shuts down to pump out,  add water or
dry. I looked at the output of my IC746-PRO with the water fall of Digipan
and see a consistent pattern from about 300 Hz to 1500 Hz but while there
may be more 120 Hz spaced peaks in places on the spectrum there are also
other spacing. The peaks do not move as I change the VFO on the ICOM so it
is a broadband noise. I have a portable radio and find noise all the way
from 2 mHz to 20 mHz. The noise seems to get into the wiring and plumbing of
the house and drops off rapidly if I take the portable radio outside. If I
use Digipan with the  SSB mode then I do not see the peaks. I just see white
noise across the entire receiver spectrum.

Now I am hoping someone on this list may have some information about curing
the noise from this dishwasher. Can some sort of beads be added around the
power line or is there a filter that can be added. The dishwasher draws 9
amps so any filter would have to be able to handle the high current.

My K2 and I have been having trouble with this noise since January of 2005.
The noise is so much stronger than almost every signial on the band that the
band sound as though there is no activity. The reason we did not figure it
out sooner is that just starting the dishwasher does not start the noise. It
doesn't happen except when it is in the actual wash parts of the cycle.

Thank you for any help.

Ken Christiansen W0CZ
[EMAIL PROTECTED]