Bob, WO3E wrote:

 So I selected 600 as the sidetone and tried to re-do CAL FIL.   CW
NORMAL went well, and I got slightly different values than for 650 Hz, as
expected.   Most of CW REVERSE seemed OK also - except for FIL1 and FIL4.
For FIL1,
the BFO parameter was EXACTLY the same as for CW NORMAL, and for FIL4 the
BFO
parameter was the same as the bandwidth center value.

Reply: ------------------------------

If you've got the same BFO setting for CW N and CW R on any filter, it's
certain you are listening on the same sideband in both cases!

One way to test which side of the bandpass your BFO is set on is by noting
how the beat changes as you tune. On 40 and below, the beat note produced by
a signal will decrease as you tune *down* in frequency in CW N and as you
tune *up* in frequency in CW R. If that doesn't happen in each filter
position, you have one of the BFO frequencies on the wrong side of the
bandpass.

The BFO settings also affect the local oscillator frequencies as well.
There's a good description of how they interact on the Elecraft web site in
a paper called "The Mechanics Behind CAL FIL".

Ron AC7AC