Alan Bloom-2 wrote:

> Basically a panadapter and a spectrum analyzer are used for different
> purposes so it makes sense that the user interface is different.
> Hopefully we got it right.

Noise floor and dynamic range above that floor are how I like to think of
the P3.  First set the P3 REF LVL just above the noise floor and then adjust
SCALE depending on how much dynamic range is needed in your area of interest
(i.e. SPAN).  If we could set our receivers as easily (instead of RF GAIN
fully to the right), more guys would actually be utilizing the full dynamic
range of their K3s.

73,  Bill

P.S.  Another ex-HP employee of ~30 years in Loveland, CO...where the 3585
HF and 3582 LF Spectrum Analyzers were developed before being transferred to
Lake Stevens, WA.  I once hauled a 3585 prototype home over a weekend to use
as a Panadapter in a contest on 10m in the early 80s.  It's a tribute to its
rugged design that I didn't blow out the front end!  The P3 is better as a
Panadapter and costs a heck of a lot less!

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/usedequipment/hewlettpackard/spectrumanalyzers/3585a.htm