Mark,

That has to be either a firmware glitch (not likely), or the result of
RF-in-the-shack causing it.  The internal keyer routines in the firmware
have been in place for a long time, and this is the first report of that
behavior that I have heard.  If it were a firmware problem, I would
think others would experience the same thing.

Try operating into a dummy load and see if you can produce it.  If not,
then suspect RF in the shack.  If that is the case, the cure is within
your antenna system.  If the behavior is band dependent, then it is
caused by RF being where it should not be.  Do you have effective
current baluns on your antennas?

It is possible that the power level produced by the K1 would not cause
any indication of a problem, but the higher power of the K2 might cause
the RF problem to be noticed.

73,
Don W3FPR