My K2 - XV50 setup did this -- the transverter didn't respond to the
K2 commands in any way, but powered up independently.  In my case, it
was that I had soldered up the cable with one DB9 connector
mirror-imaged, so no surprise it didn't work.

DB9 pin numbers are printed in the plastic, inside the back of the
male and on the front of the female.  The diagram in the manual is
only labeled with pin numbers in one place -- each color wire goes to
the same pin number on the next connector.

If it's something else, I can't help.

    Peter W0LLN

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM, John Hoaglun <j...@hoaglun.com> wrote:
> I am in need of a little bit of guidance for where to start looking.....

(...)

(...)
> I have built the custom serial cable snake and it tests out fine with
> the DVM on pins 1,6,8,9.
>
> When I change the jumpers on the transverters to the K2 specs and hookup
> the serial cable and then select either the 144 or 222 transverter
> nothing occurs. I am expecting that the front panel light of the
> transverter should be activated when that band is selected via the band
> up/down buttons on the K2 when appropriate.
>
> What am I am missing? It is like the K2 is not selecting the
> transverters via the serial cable.
(...)