Well, I may be a cheat, but when I can't get something that comes in bulk (1000
units at a time), I go to the manufactures web site and I fill out an on-line
request for "samples" where you can have up to 100 of pretty much any item.
With the exception of IC's which they usually limit to about 10.  They
generally ship them in about a days time, and at no charge.  I haven't yet
encountered a manufacture that didn't offer this service.