This is the normal behavior of all waterfall displays I've seen, and
is a very familiar screen behavior.

The cursor is the means of zeroing a signal of interest which then
telegraphs the new frequency back to the K3.

Part of the issue of tuning is that the saved information does not
include frequencies outside the display, so tuning as you suggest
would require filling in zeros all the way down AND further,
performing a second graduated shift of ALL information.  Given the
very fine degree of detail stored, this may be a significant CPU
intensive task using up processor cycles.  Devil will be in the
details, not in the simplicity of concept.

73, Guy.