I've finally focused pretty much on what I want for my "main
operating station".  Until now, it's been pretty
willy-nilly, with different pieces of equipment being
switched on and off the main table.  Since Elecraft's
inception, I've been a big fan, and have all their
radios--even two K2's.  The K3 quickly replace my Orion II,
but only recently did I actually sell that radio.

I love operating QRP, but I'm not a fanatic about it.  So,
recently I tinkered with a couple of amps.  Nothing huge
though.  Now I think the new KPA-500 might just be the
perfect solution.  If that's not enough horsepower, then I'm
just going to have to suffer the consequences!  Antennas are
really the secret, but I can't do much better than what I
have.

I have a P3 on order, and when I add the KPA-500, that
should be worth a picture QSL card--at least it will if I
clean up my operating table a bit!  The real deal maker for
me is that the new amp would cover 6 meters--a band I have
become somewhat intrigued by.  However, Elecraft has been
typically silent about the price, and if they get too
pricey, I'll back off and convert one of the old tube-types
I have sitting around (unused!) for 6 meter use.  I already
have an ALS-600, converted to QSK (thanks to the FB mod from
Phil Salas, AD5X, so my enthusiasm for the KPA-500 could
evaporate quickly.  I've also been eyeing the THP amps.

Anyway, I'm kind of excited that I finally seem to be
content with what I have, for the most part.  I don't even
lust over the big Icoms and Yaesus!.  The K3 is all the
radio I really need.  I just want to accessorize it
adequately, and I'll be done!

Dave W7AQK