I've found that if you're working weak signals, and you have your NR on, and
perhaps your NB on, with a tight Width setting it's almost necessary to run the
AF audio pot at 3 o'clock to all the way up.  This is normal as far as I can
tell.  If an S9 signal attacks though, you best watch out, you will find the
it's going to be MUCH louder than the rest of the band noise and signals.  For
this you can set the AGC threshold and Slope to try and compensate some.
But the answer to your question is, There's nothing wrong with your rig.. All 3
of the K3's that I've used exhibit this same operation.  A little more speaker
gain on the external speaker would be a nice thing.