It's never as simple as that.  I think announcing a product when its
on its final approach is fine.  I think getting tons of feedback on what
you're about to invest heavily in is good business.  Maybe the truth of
the earlier amps was that there just wasn't enough positive response to
them.  Maybe this time they used all the input from the previous attempt
to refine the price point and feature set.  Maybe everytime someone here
says the price is too high Eric makes another note. Or someone else says
I'll order on the first day - is another note. This is free market
research.  Easy access to the most likely buyers.  A big product mistake
by a small company like Elecraft could sink them.  I think they took a
LOT of notes on the road to completing the K3. Nobody can argue with the
results. And when the KPA-500 is released, it will be based on tons of
feedback.

Doug -- K0DXV