Hmmm...this topic appears from time to time and in the early days I think it
was relevant. Since Lyle has has worked on the DSP and introduced F1-x  for
CW and 5-x up for SSB there has been a huge improvement.

Perhaps the settings used by those experiencing a big drop in audio levels
are different to mine BUT I have just checked 7.055 listening to an
Indonesian station close to the noise floor.

The result is I hear a lot of band noise and a soft and difficult to
understand SSB conversation, when I use NR (5-2) the noise drops
significantly and the voice is marginally softer but now understandable. and
a QSO would be easy to do providing the other station would be able to copy
me.

I am sure that Lyle will revisit the Algorithm and see if indeed any
improvements can be made BUT for now I am quite satisfied with the NR
functionality.

Having said this, we all experience different band conditions and what works
for one person may not work for all of us.

My 2 cents worth...keep the change

73's
Gary

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM, WILLIS COOKE <wrco...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That sure is not what I have observed.  My signals drop about 2 S units if
> they
> are strong.  If they are near the noise level they disappear.  I am running
> 1-1.  It is worse if I run a higher NR level.
>
>  Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!