Nate,

Could this be alleviated when using a Turner +3 microphone.
 in the case of a soft spoken operator?

After reading your post I went and plugged the Turner in and immediately
noticed a more "punchy" audio..

Does this sound right to you?..I am definitely guilty of speaking too
softly..:-(

73's
Gary

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Nate Bargmann <n...@n0nb.us> wrote:

> You're absolutely correct, David.  Some people are just reluctant to get
> their diaphram into the act and speak with confidence, not just voice
> volume.  I know some folk who will speak at a good volume until they
> grab the mic and then seem to drop 10 dB or so by speaking in almost a
> hushed tone of voice.  As amateur rigs generally don't use compression
> amps in the mic circuits, a strong, confident voice level is essential
> to modulating the radio correctly.  I tell new ops to "belly up" to the
> microphone as an SSB rig's power output is directly related to how well
> they speak in the mic.  Some seem to get it and others don't.
>
> Even on FM I have tried to tell ops to speak up which they will for a
> bit and then lapse back into a whisper which is next to impossible to
> copy in a noisy vehicle.
>
> 73, de Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!