Sometimes Tip/Ring/Sleeve plugs give a false detent and the plug was
not all the way in.  Also if a conductor in a cord has broken inside
its insulation, you can get this behavior, including everything
working OK afterwards.  Another issue is the tip of an RCA plus not
being quite long enough, or the molding around it keeping it from
being fully inserted. Also RCA chassis jacks are famous for losing
their connection to chassis if a biting lockwasher was not used.

You may wish to construct a replacement cord set and throw away the
wire you are using now.

73, Guy