Hello John,

Here I use a 40m dipole at 70 ft fed with open wire line and a homebrewed
remote antenna tuner as a reference antenna system, and I have not seen any
sign of the problems that you have described when using my K2 barefoot, nor
with the KPA100 in line, on any of the HF bands. But I should add that this
tuner requires less than 1 watt to adjust itself.

To confirm or otherwise that a reactive load is the cause of your problem, I
suggest that a useful test would be to TUNE using a dummy load ( 50 +j0
ohms) with a suitable value of capacitance in shunt right at the dummy load.
The voltage rating of the capacitor must be adequate of course, but an open
ended stub of coax whose length is roughly between 1/8 to 1/4 wavelength X
coax's velocity factor at the test frequency could be used in lieu of a
discrete capacitor.

With regard to a permanent frequency counter connection, based on a lot of
work that I did to remove my K2/100's receiver "birdie" problem I would not
do this. However our operating habits might differ, birdies drive me daft
:-)

If I do not reply immediately to any further thoghts you might have, please
bear with me because I will away - as I have been for some time.

73,

Geoff
GM4ESD

John, on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 13:28 + 0100 you wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> K2 #6998 is now singing. The calibration and alignment went very smoothly.
> feel very pleased with myself :)  I've built the KSB2, KDSP2 and KNB2 to
> go into
> this rig, but it's currently still a base K2 while I learn to drive it.
>
> I have noticed something odd about the power while tuning using an
> external
> autotuner and I'm wondering if it this is normal:

<snip>