Dear Electrafters,

Perhaps off topic, I write for advice tackling a problem that plagues my K2 and
QTH: overwhelming RF noise from a source I cannot identify.

I've posted a screen shot of an o'scope trace of the IF output from a parlstar
R30 showing the magnitude of this problem at the following URL.

http://gegenschein.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/rf-noise-in-the-neighborhood/

So, I’ve been working on tracking down the source of this noise. Here is what I
know:

1) Noise is persistent, but not always present. Perhaps present 90% of the
time, with no pattern.  When present, it is overwhelming.  My K2 noise blanker
cannot blank it reliably.

2) Noise - 120 Hz pulses - is present from AM broadcast band to about 20 MHz.

3) Source is not in my house. I’ve turned off the main circuit breaker and
operated from battery — noise still overwhelming.

4) Noise is on the neighborhood power lines.

5) I cannot locate a single source of the noise (walking around with a portable
radio); as noted above, it is on the main power lines in the hood.

Please — any suggestions how I might track down this noise source and quiet it?
 I first started noticing the problem about 6 months ago and it has grown
steadily worse.  Now, I can't imagine how it could get worse.  I am just
waiting, now, for whatever is the source to final go up in a puff of smoke (or
move out of the neighborhood).