I don't need a fix for this because mine is working now, but I thought I'd pass
along what I did to correct my problem in case anyone else was having similar
issues. Please don't send me an email to tell me I was an idiot and I should
have known this, or to read this/that post. I just wanted to pass this along to
possibly help someone else out.
I have a K3 that connects to a MicroHam band-decoder and a Palstar AT-Auto tuner
with a split RS-232 cable. The band-decoder also drives my remote antenna
switches for "one-click-and-everything-is-set" for operation. I have a computer
background and this set-up was completed about 2 years ago and has performed
well at 4800 baud.
When I put the P3 in the mix, the RS-232 communications between the devices
started mis-behaving. The band-decoder would not know what band it was one and
the AT-Auto tuner would start trying to tune for the wrong band. The K3 would
change from 4800 to 38400 baud. I know the P3 and the K3 communicate at 38400,
but I thought (and maybe I was wrong) that the K3, the accessories and the
(output) RS-232 settings on the P3, should all be set at 4800 and everything
should work. If I turned off the P3(but left it in line) everything would pass
through and work properly at 4800. the K3 and P3 are at current/latest Firmware
revisions.

Anyway, Saturday, I set everything (K3, P3, Band-decoder, PC serial port and
AT-Auto Tuner) to 38400 and everything is playing nicely and switching properly.
Hopefully this may help someone with extra RS-232 gadgets like me.
73, Tad, WF4W

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

The Grateful Dead

Truckin'