Bill,

One possibility is that this rogue signal's frequency is not actually at
28.002 MHz, but at some other frequency which coincides with one of the K3
receiver's spurious responses when the K3 is tuned to 28.002 MHz. An example
of one spurious response is the so-called image, which in the case of a K3
receiver tuned to 28.002 MHz would be at 44.432 MHz. Typical Superhets have
many other spurious responses above, below and sometimes in the band being
tuned.

Because you also hear this signal at 28.002 MHz when using another battery
powered rig, at first glance my thought that the signal is not at 28.002 MHz
would seem to be nonsense because the frequency used in the IF of your
battery powered rig and the K3 are probably not the same, therefore the
spurious response pattern in terms of frequencies of the two receivers would
not be the same. But there is the possibility that some responses might in
part cover the same frequencies.

If I can be of any help, please contact me off-list.

73,

Geoff
GM4ESD