Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:54:23 -0700
From: Tim Tucker <ae...@worldwidedx.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Seeking external speaker recommendations
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net

I used the SP-20 on my K3 for a while, mainly on SSB.  I didn't like it.   I
could never get enough volume out of the speaker without distortion from the
K3 to suit me.  Incidentally, I also used it on a 746 Pro and never
experienced this problem.

I know everyone is going to say get an unpowered speaker, but I purchased
the West Mountain Radio COMspkr for $40 and they work very well and sound
really good to me (use your 8 band RX EQ to tailor the audio) and I've never
experienced RFI problems, even at Kilowatt Plus power levels.  The volume
level issue that bugged me with the SP-20 is also a non-issue, of course.
Powered speakers may not be for everyone, but 40 bucks isn't a lot to spend
after you've plopped down over $3K for a rig, especially you don't want to
hassle with finding the speaker that gives you the volume level that you're
looking for.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45