This will be my last post on the subject because some people don't understand
that I'm only trying to convey that you don't need 800 dollar nearfield
monitors that come from a professional studio in order to enjoy the sounds
coming out of your K3.
Yes, the NS10's and the Tanoy speakers require more drive in order to make them
sound good.  This is EXACTLY why I said that using them with the K3 as they are
makes them a BAD choice for the reasons that I stated.  They don't sound good.

When someone asks "how do Nearfield monitors/speakers" sound on the K3 I think
Professional speakers hooked up to the K3, not consumer hi fidelity speakers.
I'm sorry but if you know anything about the NS10's you should know that those
speakers have a 2 kHz bump of + 5 dB and low frequency drop starting at 200 Hz
they “open” the frequency range with a midrange-based response that exposes the
most problematic and worst-sounding frequencies. In your consumer hi-fi, the EQ
preset that makes most music sound “better” (”Loudness”, “Rock”) is exactly the
NS-10 frequency response, flipped upside down… Perfect for monitoring, but fail
(as you said) under low voltages.
A flat response from a set of speakers would NOT be ideal to most people.
Consumers are used to hearing their audio "colored", with EQ, Like they do out
of their home stereos and car radios with their 6 speaker systems and separate
sub woofer systems.  If you were to have a perfect flat response speaker and
put someone in front of them you would probably get the reaction from them that
they sound "dull", or too bright/crisp (assuming the top end 8-20KHz could
actually be flat).

You missed my point about "cheap" speakers.. I didn't say that they had limited
freq. range.. I said that they tend to accentuate the freq. that the K3 has to
offer (not attenuate).  As in they bump the 1.5KHz voice portion, and 300 to
500 Hz CW areas. Exactly what people want to hear when listening to a
communications radio.
Cheap speakers, and I'm not talking about 10 dollar computer speakers.. You
people don't always have to be so literal... aren't what I was talking about.
I was referring to Cheap speakers as in 30 to 100 dollar speakers would be more
than enough to enjoy all that the K3 has to offer.  There's just no need to put
Hi fidelity speakers on the K3, with or without an outboard amp.. I'm sorry...
CW just isn't going to sound any better from a 1000 dollar speaker.  SSB may,
but why bother? (man I almost said it's just glorified CB radio anyway... I'm
glad I didn't do that, the flames would have never stopped)
There comes a point where a 100 dollar speaker will sound just as good as a
1000 dollar speaker.  Besides, most people could never hear the difference if
they were given the opportunity.  If it were up to me, I would just go out and
get a really nice pair of headphones if you really want good sound when it
comes to SSB.  I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to be practical here... I wish
some of you would try to be from time to time too. Nuf said..  No need to
respond.... We'll just have to agree to disagree.