What kind of thing is that to tell someone??? It may take "months to get your
K3 back"??? First off, have you even bothered to ask Elecraft how long their
back log is???

Second, How about you just order a new board under warranty and do an advanced
replacement returning the bad board when you exchange it out. You've obviously
proven that you're capable of digging into the K3 on your own and getting
things done.  Swapping a board is nothing.

Furthermore, telling someone to short out a choke that was put there for a
reason is an even worse idea, whether it would work or not isn't the question.
You're just asking for problems later when something else goes wrong. Doing
that to TEST something is fine, but to repair it, no thank you.. I'm glad I
didn't bring my rig to your shop...