OTOH, locals here are impressed with the receiver and what the K3 CAN do and
it's inbuilt versatility and great receiver.

Nobody seemed too concerned withthe lack of size, knobs, whistles, clicks
and bells etc offered with 'other' boxes.

If enough people took the time to 'LEARN' how to set up there own K3 such as
on SSB adjusting the Hi/Lo Cut then most would stop complaining about what
some term 'edgy' AF etc.

What constantly amazes me is the barrage of seemingly endless complaints
about some perceived limitation or design deficiency in the K3 when a little
more time spent in front of the K3 'learning' 'how' to use the K3 would
enhance their personal appreciation of a superb radio.

In Australia we live in a 'throw away' or 'trade-in' society due to lack of
manufacturing and I for one appreciate very much the amount of thought and
sweat that has gone into the production of the K3 and being badged "Born in
the USA' is a very real factor in deciding what next I will 'acquire'.

Just about everything we turn over to look at the label states 'Made in
China' and whilst many good products come from Asia it is still terrific to
see a very well run company responsive to customer concerns without the
common response of 'send it back for replacement' or trade it in on the next
new 'box' being released to 'fix' the design or manufacturer faults created
at birth.

Oh well, turn of my mouth and sit and receive for awhile now....:-)

Flame suit on and zipped up, air bag at the ready :-)

73's
Gary

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM, <riese-k3...@juno.com> wrote:

> There's the rub
>
> members of my local club were not overly interested in my K3 as it doesnt
> have all the
> knobs etc on the front panel, you cant change the color of the display
> and it isnt heavy
> I really find that sad ,, I would get lost from time to time placing my
> TS 850 in a unknown
> state by accidently pushing a wrong button ,, hasnt happened on the K3
> the GUI is great
> but simple and some think simple relates to poor or ineffective
> as I am a casual operator and dont use 1/10 the features avaible but
> wanted a rig that would hold
> up to some of the nasty krap on HF ,,, K3 Rocks,, was fun to build and
> has great support
>
> Bob K3DJC
>

> > Honestly, it looks like a great radio if you like a lot of knobs
> > and
> > buttons.  I won't be buying an FTDX5000 anytime soon, as the K3 does
> > all of
> > that and more at the fraction of the cost, size, and weight.  Plus,
> > Elecraft
> > has in my opinion the best support in the industry.  For those
> > however that
> > want a "big rig", I think this is the one to beat.
> >
> > --
> > 73 de James K2QI

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679, P3 #546
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!