Don and James,

You are both correct. I was pretty sure the S5 router noise was a birdie as
I had already switched to my dummy load. But now I disconnected the PL259
from the back of the K3 and the router noise on 12 meters is down to S1. So
it is probably being picked up by the 4 cables between the K3, amplifier,
power meter, antenna switch, and dummy load.

The real birdies are still there with no antenna cable connected. I had done
birdie reduction some time ago by rearranging the RF cables inside the K3
(and taping them in place with blue painter's tape). The real birdies are
mostly S1 and S2 which is something I can live with.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

73,
Mike K2MK