Alan,

I too find it useful BUT I am happy to wait for a 'better' solution.

I understand 'in the future' there maybe be a hardware option to add this
and perhaps 'other' features from previous emails so for now I wait and
watch.

I was never sure if the P3 would be a 'keeper' for me but it is here now and
after playing with it I can't see how I got along without it in the
beginning...:-)

Sometimes Elecraft 'force' us to buy stuff..:-(

Just too many good engineers with plenty of time on their hands eh?

ROTFL

73's
Gary

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM, N6JW <j...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Hi Alan:
>
> I certainly understand your reasons for nervousness here.  However,
> I would like to express how much this "unofficial" feature has been
> helpful to me in setting TX equalizers for three different mic settings
> (macro driven) and two mics (front and rear).  And I often return and
> tinker with these settings for optimization.  In my P3 the "feature" works
> well, but right now it is clumsy to use, to say the least.
>
> Here is what I have to do:  Open Config Menu: RS232 which will read
> 38000.  Attach a dummy load (or tune to an empty spot in the band).
> Turn on Peak hold, then right away turn RS232 speed to 4800 (this is
> equivalent to removing the cable), talk into the mic, and then tap
> freeze to look at the cumulative audio spectrum!  Set to a narrow span
> (I use 4khz) one gets a lot of good detailed data this way, but is it
> a bit of a fiddle!  If you want to do it again, start over.
>
> Alan, I know there are interesting options coming down the line with
> some additional hardware required (what else is the "sensor" opening
> at the back for?)  But in the meantime, the "unofficial" feature is very
> useful indeed!
>
> Thanks so much for the fine panadapter.  It has proven itself to be more
> useful than I thought it would be.
>
> Regards & 73
>
> John, N6JW
>

> Alan Bloom-2 wrote:
> >
> > I'm a little nervous about making this an "official" feature, because
> > the signal level is not well-controlled.  It depends on stray leakage
> > through a balanced mixer and "blow-by" past a couple of PIN diode
> > switches.  If the mixer in a particular K3 happens to be very well
> > balanced or the PIN diodes have extra-low capacitance, there may not be
> > enough signal level to adjust the equalizer properly.  It also depends
> > on frequency band and transmit power level.
> >
> > There may be a better way to do this.  It's on my list of things to look
> > at as soon as I get time.
> >
> > Alan N1AL
> >
> > On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 06:17 +1000, Gary Gregory wrote:
> >> I would like to be able to 'switch' such a feature On/Off without any
> >> external 'box'

> >> function.

> --

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679, P3 #546
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!