I use the USB/serial cable and for me it would mean I junk one piece of
cable.

Being portable, I can set up the tri-band beam on the portable mast with
rotator and feedline and secure it ready to operate FASTER than I can hook
up the K3, P3, interconnect cables for the P3, amplifier, inline meter,
rotator cable, paddle, footswitch, cm-500 headset, external speakers..etc,
etc...go figure eh?...:-)

And I set myself up to be on air in 30 minutes, which I can IF I just plug
in the K3 and a hand mic...:-)

The toys we must have eh?

But it is a blast let me tell you..:-)

73's

gotta go mobile and set up again for another month of DX'ing in a town
called Ravenshoe, Queensland.

Gary

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM, James Sarte (K2QI) <k2qi....@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I'm not really asking for anything, other than whether or not the USB
> option
> was still in the works.  I was just curious. The K3 works fine as is with
> its current KIO3 configuration.  I didn't realize, as someone else had
> already pointed out to me off-list, that this topic is akin to beating a
> dead horse.  I guess I must have missed those emails; sorry for bringing it
> up.
>
> 73,
> James K2QI
>
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Mike <n...@nf4l.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how you envision moving the audio to USB.
> >
> > I think putting the USB port in the K3 would open a Pandora's box re:
> > drivers.
> >
> > If you're asking to just move the serial to USB adapter into the rig,
> there
> > is NO gain.
> >
> > If you're asking to do away with serial port comms entirely and go to USB
> > only,
> > you're creating a huge hassle for the software authors, as well as
> opening
> > Pandora's box re: drivers for it.
> >
> > 73, Mike NF4L
> >
> > On 11/18/2010 7:31 PM, James Sarte (K2QI) wrote:
> > > Hello group,
> > >
> > > I know Wayne has mentioned several times in the past that they had
> > > considered all possibilities when it comes to PC interfaces for the K3,
> > > including USB.  In fact, he says the following on 16 June, 2009:
> > >
> > > "The KIO3's digital I/O module could be replaced with one that has USB
> > > rather than RS232 -- or better yet, both. We planned for this.
> > >
> > > The reason we went with RS232 initially is that many hams are still
> > > using PCs that have only RS232 ports. Those who prefer to use USB can
> > > use an inexpensive USB-to-RS232 adapter. There is no difference in I/O
> > > performance between the two methods. "
> > >
> > > Just wanted to revisit this topic and find out if anyone has heard
> > anything
> > > more regarding a possible USB interface for the K3.  I know it's not
> for
> > > everyone, but for myself and perhaps others out there, the ability to
> > carry
> > > all data, including audio on a single cable would be convenient.  Right
> > now,
> > > I'm using a Keyspan USB to RS232 adapter for data, along with two
> > separate
> > > stereo cables for audio.  I don't have any real complaints with that
> > setup,
> > > but could be problematic when transferring the rig around from computer
> > > computer.

> --
> 73 de James K2QI
> President UNARC/4U1UN

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679, P3 #546
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!