Hi all:

During my SS effort this weekend, I took a deep breath and,
20 minutes before the contest, broke all my rules about
software stability and loaded the latest beta (OK, so I like
to live on the edge!).  I wanted the new Gate Feature
active!

I noticed three items with these features.

First, TX Gate.  I would like to thank Lyle for all the work
he did on this feature.  The Gate is now up to the level of
pro gear, and is a wonderful addition to the feature set of
the radio.  It deals with my noisy shack issues perfectly,
is smooth on attack and release and very useful, and best of
all, no more crackling at the threshold.  Everything was
fine with SSB transmission, too.  Thank you Lyle.

Second, Vox.  The vox worked better than any vox I have ever
used.  I never use vox in contests, but thought I would see
how this feature worked in single op (would never attempt
this in multi op!) I used it for over an hour instead of my
traditional footswitch and found it fast and hard to
confuse, even eating some soft cookies with vox on, no false
tripping (doesnt work with chips, but those soft Keebler
chocolate chip cookies are vox compatible!).  Its fast and
smooth and didnt require constant tweaking of the controls
as on my former Kenwood rigs. Set it once, and it just
works.  You can even stand up and stretch your legs to keep
from cramping while using vox to continue to operate, an
advantage to staying in front of the rig for extended
periods of time (is it the "virtual Butt-In-Chair" feature?)

Third, the Notch.  This one is not so good.  I noticed that
when I attempted to use the Notch, there is an annoying
"glitch" that results when the notch is on; a complete drop
in the audio output of the radio on T/R switchover for what
I consider a long time AFTER the turaround happens!  What
happens is that, on T/R turn around, you hear an instant of
receiver audio, then the audio seems to mute completely off
for an instant, then audio abruptly returns... This doesnt
happen with the notch off.  This has never happened to me
before, and I use notch all the time.  Anyone else notice
this, is it a new interection of either the new Gate or Vox
system with the notch code or is it "normal" (I hope not!)?

Its VERY annoying, to the level of me deciding to put up
with tuning tones instead of using the notch (which gives
you an idea of just how annoying the effect is!).  If the
folks at Elecraft need to hear a recording of the effect, I
can supply it.

One bad thing about owning a K3 is that you can get very
close to other contestants on a crowded band and, if they
have a clean transmitter, not know that they are even there.
 While running with the 1.8 filter on and the DSP tight, I
could find holes within busy bands to attempt runs in and
had several complaints from adjecent stations, both above
and below which I simply COULD NOT HEAR.  Most of these guys
were running high power... And I was running the K3
barefoot.

Maybe a solution to our band overcrowding is to require that
all contestants use K3's!  :)

Lu Romero - W4LT
K3 # 3192