At 10:06 PM 11/29/2010, you wrote:
>Noted your comment on noise reduction by phase nulling. Have you
>looked on info on pages by pa0sim, see www.pa0sim.nl, he has done
>more or less what I think you are considering. Ie connecting the
>output from 2 phase locked receivers fed with separate antennas and
>do the amplitude/phase nulling at AF level.
>
>Some of the sound samples on his website are impressive in terms of
>noise reduction.
>
>I would love to see an application which could do this, would be
>nice to check out if phase nulling works at a site before trying an
>MFJ unit or similar. I really would like to see this done in the K3
>as all the hardware is there to do such phasenulling in software,
>could eg use the VFO B knob for phase control and the volume knobs
>for amplitude control. Only requirement is to feed the 2 RXs with
>separate antennas, ie an alternative use of diversity capability.
>
>I was not able to respond on the reflector. Would be nice if you
>could keep the group updated if you get more info on this.
>
>73 de Olaf LA3RK

Olaf,

Thanks for writing.  I somehow lost your e-mail and wanted to look at
the pa0sim webpage.  I merely suggested the idea.  I really have no
prospect for doing this.  I thought maybe Elecraft might be
interested in the idea; provide firmware to do it.

A modification on doing diversity reception was what I had in
mind.  Use a small "sniffer" antenna on the aux Rx input to sample
noise and null it from the main receiver in sw.  I think it would be
easiest to accomplish in digital before conversion to audio.  All the
DSP routines are done there:  NB, NR, AGC, APF, DSP bandwidth.  Phase
shift and amplitude adjustments would be possible in digital, so
assigning VFO-B would be relatively simple for phase and use the
sub-Rx volume for amplitude adjustment.

I guess it's now up to Elecraft if they want to explore this.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45