Pete,
I don't think this is curmudgeonly at all.  I try to sign off with 73 on
internet forum
postings (such as on eHam), as well on e-mail lists like this one.

I figure if I can't say "73," meaning, of course "best regards," then
perhaps I
shouldn't send it.    Keeps me in check!

73,
Chuck Guenther  NI0C

Pete, N4ZR, wrote:

  It also used to be that anyone posting
on one of these reflectors would use his or her callsign and some form
of esoteric ham closing, like 73, 88, etc.

Am I alone in observing that these customs seem to be falling by the
wayside?  I flinch every time I see an unsigned message on one of the
reflectors.  It seems to me that people should want to be seen in a good
light by the 1-4 thousand people who will seeing their messages.  This
isn't instant messaging, where you're already known by the other party,
so why not take the second or two extra to let people know who you are
and that you're proud of it?

Or am I just an old curmudgeon?