I posted this last Friday when it was fresh but it got rejected due to size
and I just got the bounce message today. Here it is again for those who
care:

I spend a lot of time tapping out text on my cell phone using T9 or
"multitap" input methods (the latter being where you press 2 once to get A,
twice for B, three times for C, etc. for each key on the phone). And I write
software for cellphones and PDAs for a living.

The mention of Morse as a phone/PDA user interface (UI) got me thinking
about using the * # keys as dit and dah (or dah and dit if you prefer). The
question is, which input method requires fewer keystrokes?

A quick look at the key assignments shows that it takes no more than 3
keystrokes for most letters using multitap, except S and Z. Numbers take 4
strokes except 7 and 9 which take 5.

Morse requires 4 strokes for many letters and 5 for numbers. Only two
letters can be represented with one stroke (E and T) whereas multitap can do
8 letters with one  stroke (A, D, G, J, M, P, T, and W).

If we wire the Morse UI like a keyer so that the keys repeat if held down,
then seven letters and two numbers can be sent with one keystroke (E, I, S,
H, 5, T, M, O, and 0), most of the rest can be done with two or three, and
only the letter C requires 4.

The PDA software I work on is for Bible study. For fun I ran the text of the
Bible through a program that counted keystrokes using each of these methods.
The Bible text I used was the New International Version. The file was in
HTML so I ignored characters in tags.

Here are the results:

Total characters processed: 3,215,866
Multitap keystrokes: 6,939,643
Morse keystrokes: 8,349,063
Morse with autorepeat: 5,454,858

Then for even more fun I ran a 50MB collection of Bible reference books
through the process (less than 30 seconds... ain't computers grand?):

Total characters processed: 52,414,671
Multitap keystrokes: 114,462,190
Morse keystrokes: 136,308,478
Morse with autorepeat: 89,415,736

There are some other interesting advantages to a CW interface:

1. CW combines the use of two buttons and *time* as a third parameter (the
length of time you hold down the key changes the meaning of the keystroke).
So you're getting three pieces of info from two keys. Multitap reduces
keystrokes by increasing the number of keys. CW reduces keystrokes by using
the duration of the keystroke to supply additional information.

2. One of the frustrations of multitap comes when you need two characters in
a row from the same key. You either need to tap the right-arrow key to move
to the next character or wait for it to time out. With CW there's a natural
break between characters that is dependant on your sending speed.

There's some obvious disadvantages of coures. For one thing, nobody knows
Morse Code so it's not very practical for the general public. (Compare the
popularity of Esperanto as an international UI for example.)

Anyway it's an interesting thought. It doesn't seem like it would be that
hard for the right person (i.e. total nutcase with more time than brains) to
rig this up on a couple of popular phones so we can all play with it. Come
on, I know there are at least a couple of you on the list. :-)

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966