From: Tony Estep
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:22 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] win 7 32/64 bit

<snip> "...so far I have found no ham related programs that will
not run
under Win 7...."
--------------------
Yep, I have two Win 7 machines and have generally had excellent
results.
There still are some pieces of hardware (e.g. M-Audio studio
sound
interfaces) for which the Win 7 drivers either don't exist or
exist but
don't work. And I do know of one piece of Ham-related software
that won't
run under Win 7, viz. the Dimension 4 time interface. This is
used by
weak-signal guys (WSPR, JT65, etc.) to sync the PC to the Bureau
of
Standards time. Win 7 has a built-in gadget to do it, and
apparently won't
give other programs access to set the clock. With adequate
hacking, Vista
can be forced to allow D4 to run, but it was really written for
XP and
hasn't been updated.

With certain computers, it is not as easy as it sounds to keep
your clock
accurate to within a fraction of a second, because the on-board
clock may
drift quite a bit and have to be reset constantly; and
unfortunately, Win 7
does not have a setting (at least not one I can find) that allows
the user
to increase the frequency of syncing the clock to a standard.

Anyway, other than the above-mentioned glitches, Win 7 runs fine
and is IMHO
more likable than XP.

Tony KT0NY

Please help support this email list: