Depends on whether you want to buy a "Status Symbol" or whether you
want a great portable, DX and CW rig that is at the top of the list
for contesters and DXpeditions alike.

Hmmm...now that's a no brainer in my book...I certainly don't miss my
FTdx-9000D in any way whatsoever.

But there are those in this world with a love of "Cockpit Lights in
the shack", money is not a consideration, desire for a "Big" radio is
strong but performance is not at the very top of their priority list.

The argument for and against each of these radios, and you could add
the IC-7800 into the mix as well, has been thrashed out here
before...bit like that Ol question "what's the best radio money can
buy?"

Guess that's just another example of a great hobby that suits so many
different styles/type of operating be it contesting, rag chewing,
particular mode, particular band and so the list goes on and on.

I have owned some GOOD radios from each of the "Big 3" JA factories
and each time I thought I was happy but after the shine wore off the
receipt the shortcomings started to annoy me somewhat so the search
for that "perfect" rig resumed.

Nearly 3 years ago now I "found" the K3 and times have been great and
the receipt has long faded so I can't see the price anymore but the
enjoyment of the K3 remains and appears to grow stronger every time I
twirl a knob and tap a couple of buttons as I "play" radio.

To my way of thinking this is what the hobby means to me...ENJOYMENT
and RELAXATION and USING my radio, the rest of it just fades into the
background these days.

TEHO

73's
Gary

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Jack Brindle <jackbrin...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> $7500 for a K3? Maybe that for two K3s?
>
> Jack Brindle, W6FB
>

> On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:17 PM, tony rowland wrote:
>
>> now let's see how this work's out. k-3 w/ all bells and whistles vs
>> dx ft9000mp
>> weight 98 lbs.vs what about 10?
>> cost north of 13,0000.00 usd
>> around what 7500.oo usd for a full blown k-3.
>> buttons i don't have a clue as to what they do.
>> if i put it together i have a good idea how it work's.
>> power 13.5 volt k-3
>> may need to rewire your shack. dx ft 9000mp
>> clear winner the k-3 IMHO
>>
>> s/tony rowland

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679, P3 #546
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!