Amen Don, you just hit the nail right on the head.

I struggled with an interface box and set it aside and got the K3/PC
hookup working and never did bother with the interface box after that
as I found the current setup does it all.

KISS is the Portable Operators 'Bible' for me now..:-)

73''s
Gary

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
>  Joe,
>
> My apologies to your products, but I have been a long and strong
> believer in the KISS principle.  "Keep It Simple Stupid".  Yes, there
> are accessories that make things more usable, but at the expense of
> simplicity.  Every device added to the combination of things to put a
> signal on the air adds to the complexity of the entire setup.  And that
> added complexity adds to the number of devices that can fail, and adds
> exponentially to the number of setup combinations that are possible -
> some combinations will work, others will almost work, and a lot of other
> combinations result in requests for help here on the Elecraft
> reflector.  None of those combinations are a K3 problem, but are a
> result of the complexity of the various components in the users station
> setup.
>
> Since the K3 does support digital modes direct from a computer
> soundcard, it would be prudent IMHO for users to try that combination
> first before committing to the extra features afforded by an external
> interface box.
>
> In two cases in the last two days, we have encountered "problems" on
> this reflector where the user of an external interface box had problems
> because the audio levels presented to the K3 were at microphone level
> instead of line level - simply because the interface box manufacturer
> did not consider that any transceiver would be using line level inputs.
> Your Microham interface boxes may give consideration to line level input
> (I don't know one way or the other), but many do not even consider
> anything other than mic level input.  I am not targeting the Microham
> products, but am simply indicating that many digital interface boxes do
> not consider line level audio input to the transceiver.
>
> Again with the KISS principle, the more functions that are placed in the
> interface box, the more complex the entire station operation becomes.
> Once properly set up, it can be a benefit, but for those who are
> initially venturing into digital modes, the variety of setup tools and
> menus for a particular interface box can be overwhelming.  This is not a
> K3 problem.  Set things up using the simplest connections possible, and
> determine that the K3 works.  Then add the interface box - if it does
> not work, then it should be obvious that some setup parameter for the
> interface box is the problem and the user should direct his questions to
> the interface box reflector and not bring implications that the K3 is
> faulty.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 1/9/2011 8:06 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>>
>>> In other words (for those using a K3), an additional soundcard may be
>>> a better solution than one of the "Digital Interface" boxes.
>>
>> That depends entirely on the feature set the user needs.
>>
>> 1) The K3 can not switch between soundcard input and microphone
> [...]

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679, P3 #546
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!