> Clearing this selection, plus putting microHam Router in
 > full QSK mode without asserting PTT in CW, which may or may
 > not have anything to do with this issue,  cures this and the
 > radio no longer gets "stuck" in transmit.

Selecting QSK in microHAM Router has nothing to do with this.
The problem is purely a race condition in the transceiver
control logic;  it effects more transceivers that the K3.
Several transceivers appear to ignore "TX OFF" commands when
both PTT and "software control" occur too closely together.

 > This does not seem to happen with TenTec Orion 1, Kenwood
 > (TS570, TS480 and TS850 are the only Kenwoods have tested)
 > or Icom (as they cant do PTT via Serial command over CI-V)
 > but it does happen with K3.

No, this has been reported in all brands of transceiver -
including Icom which supports serial (Command) PTT in most
models released in the last five years+ (everything since
the IC-706mkII).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV