The 1st non Heathkit rig I ever built (1st was a 90W CW transmitter I built
from scratch when first licensed back in 1963) was a little 2 transistor MOPA
rig (2N706 VFO driving a 2N2219 PA) which put out about 750 mw.  Receiver was a
Collins R-390A on loan from the Army MARS program and I was living on Fort
Devens, Massachusetts, an Army base 35 miles West of Boston.  I was net control
for the Eastern Mass CW traffic net on 80 meters 3 nights a week and even
though I had a Heath HW-16, I often used the little transistor TX to run the
net.  First 3 nights I had it on, never told anyone and only one person
commented that my signal was just S8 so I might want to check my antenna
connections.  When I told them what I was using for a transmitter, no one would
believe me until I had several of them over to see it.  It covered from 3.5 to
3.8 MHz.  I put it on 3.510 and called CQ.  On the 3rd call, an OK3 came back
and gave me a 579 signal report.  The net guys never gave me any mor
 e grief about the "puny" little solid state rig.

Ain't it fun Wayne?

Another good story happened at a tailgate swapfest here in Wichita.  I had my
K2 and KX1 set up with a PAC-12 vertical hooked to about 80 feet of RG-174
(yes, 174) and was showing how the KX1 could work cross mode CW to SSB on 20
meters when I heard Vello, ES1QD working a bunch of stateside guys and the
pileup was getting pretty deep.  I quickly switched the antenna to the K2,
dialled in the frequency and turned up the speaker.  Pretty soon a bunch
gathered around and when I picked up the microphone, one of the big QRO guys
started ragging on me and telling everyone around us about how I really thought
I could bust a pileup on SSB with that puny K2 @ 5 watts!

You should have seen his jaw drop when I keyed the microphone and said
W0EB/QRP.  Vello came back and said "Everybody stand by, QRP station go again."
 I called him again and we had a nice chat for a couple of minutes and he gave
me a 57 signal report.  I'd attach the QSL card here, but this reflector
doesn't allow HTML or attachments.  That ended the "life's too short for QRP"
ribbing I used to get.  It also got a couple of the guys turned on to the K2.

Jim - W0EB