> Many countries have lower limits ... 400W in G, VK, and ZL, I
> think

Almost right, Fred.  We Kiwis have the luxury of a whole dB more, or 500W
out in old money, but since it's measured at the transmitter output rather
than measured or calculated at the antenna feed point (as in the UK), some
of us max out well below 500W of radiated RF even with a legal-limit amp.

As a long time member of the G-QRP-Club, I'm currently enjoying WSPRing to
Europe on 40m with 1W out of the K3 giving roughly ½W into the vertical and
a  very slightly warm long run of coax.  Admittedly I'd be bored stiff if it
wasn't fully automatic, so I leave it running while I Do Other Stuff,
working or sleeping in fact.

The KPA500 sounds ideal for me *provided* it is as reliable as, errr, oh,
death and taxes.  Amp reliability is every bit as important as size and
weight for DXpeditioning and contesting.

72
Gary  ZL2iFB